We are unique because:
- The variety of courses and variety of qualifications
- Only accredited Osteopathy Course in Ireland
- Only Osteopathy programme in Ireland leading to a validated Osteopathy Degree
- All courses run on weekends, because of this you can obtain your qualifications while still in full time employment, you can steadily build up your musculo-skeletal clinic whilst you can decide which road you wish to follow.
- All clinical hours our done at the college training clinic. This clinic is one of the busiest in Munster, giving the students a unique opportunity to learn their craft on real injuries while being supervised by some of the most experienced clinicians in practice today.
- These courses have been put together by clinicians with years of experience and prepare the students to deal “hands on” with injuries seen every day in a clinical situation.
- The curriculum has been arranged which allows practitioners to join these courses at different levels. This enables practitioners who recently qualified or those in practice for a long time to join our course at their level
- Flexible entry points to course depending on prior professional or academic experience
Once qualified in Osteopathic medicine, it came to my attention that many
practitioners found that in Ireland it proved difficult to begin or advance their
knowledge in the field of complementary musculoskeletal medicine. As a result, a
few years ago, I decided that I wanted to open the first Osteopathy College in
Ireland, to help practitioner develop their knowledge and skills. I felt that teaching
only the musculoskeletal course was no longer enough, for too many years I had
watched colleagues and ex-students travel to the UK to study Osteopathy incurring
great expense and time out of their lives. I wanted to make a meaningful change to
the Osteopathic profession in Ireland.
The path to recognition by the OCI has been long and thorough, we received our
accreditation in June 2019 and are now the only accredited school in Ireland. We
have reached a high academic standard and will maintain that standard in all the
courses that we deliver at ICOM. This strong academic foundation translates into
clinical practice and the structure of the courses allows students to grow
professionally as well as academically.
Throughout the pathway there are break-out qualifications should you wish to leave
at the end of years 1 and 3:
Year 1 – Orthopaedic Sports Massage qualification (NQF level 5), allowing you to
work as a massage therapist. Awarded by The Irish College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Year 2 – Orthopaedic Sports Therapy qualification (NQF level 6). Awarded by The Irish College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Year 3 – Spinal Manipulative Therapy qualification (NQF level 6). Awarded by The Irish College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Year 4 – Osteopathic Diploma (non-practicing) (NQF level 7) Advanced spinal manipulations, if successful will
allow progression to the 1yr BSc. Awarded by The Irish College of Osteopathic Medicine.
1yr BSc – Delivered by NESCOT and leads to the award of BSc (Hons)
Osteopathy (FHEQ level 8). Awarded by Nescot University.
- To provide quality osteopathic education that is built on professional clinical training and guided by current relevant research and excellent academic teaching
- To provide students with good quality clinical training and a variety of patients as detailed by the European Osteopathic Standards and fulfil the required 1000 clinical hours.
- To deliver a student experience that fulfils the requirements set out by the Osteopathic Council of Ireland’s Standards in Osteopathic Training & SOTE) , the Osteopathy Incorporated Standards of Osteopathic Education and Training in Ireland (OISOET) .
We have just changed our name to reflect our evolution and accreditation status,
plus, we have moved to a 5’000sq ft purpose-built school.
If you are thinking of a change of direction in your career or you feel your skills need
updating in the field of complimentary musculoskeletal medicine, I can assure you
that you will find that our courses will reach the standards that are now being
Take a first step on your journey by contacting our college to discuss your options
and let this day be the start of the rest of your life.
Kieran Corcoran. D.O.